Minutes of the IAG Opening, July 1, 2003
FS started by welcoming to the IAG opening and excused for the changed time due to many meetings on top of each other.
FS presented the agenda – shown below:
- Report of the IAG (Fernando Sanso - FS)
- Report of the IAG Secretary General (C.C. Tscherning - CCT)
- Section highlights (Section Presidents)
- Report of the editor in chief of the Journal of Geodesy (Will Featherstone)
- Presentation of the New Executive Committee (Fernando Sanso)
- Presentation of the Levallois Medal (Klaus Peter Schwartz)
- Presentation of the Bomford Prize (Fernando Sanso) and Bomford lecture by the recipient.
1. Report of the IAG (Fernando Sanso)
FS mentioned all the colleagues, who passed away during the past 4 years followed by 1 minute of silence. FS’ full report is enclosed as attachment 1.
2. Report of the IAG Secretary General (C.C. Tscherning - CCT)
CCT began by reminding the audience of the social events, which would take place during the Assembly followed by his report (see attachment 2).
3. Section highlights (Section Presidents)
All Section Presidents gave a short presentation of the highlights from their sections. For further information, see the presidents’ contributions in the Travaux.
Section 1 – Positioning
Presented by Chris Rizos on behalf of Alan Dodson.
Section 2 – Advanced Space Technology
Presented by Pascal Willis on behalf of C.K. Shum.
Section 3 – Determination of the Gravity Field
Presented by Michael Sideris.
Section 4 – General Theory and Methodology
Presented by Bernhard Heck.
Section 5 – Geodynamics
Presented by Clark Wilson.
4. Report of the editor in chief of the Journal of Geodesy (Will Featherstone)
During the past 4 years JOG has received a total of 386 manuscripts, which is an increase with respect to the previous 4-year period. The editing process takes 9 month at the moment, which is still too long. The old board has made some recommendations to the new board to shorten the process.
5. Presentation of the New Executive Committee (Fernando Sanso)
Before introducing the new EC, FS mentioned that there had been several candidates for each position (except for the President), which had improved the democratic process. The new EC is
President: Gerhard Beutler
Vice-President: Michael Sideris
Secretary General: Carl Christian Tscherning
President of Commission 1: Herman Drewes
President of Commission 2: Christopher Jekeli
President of Commission 3: Veronique Dehant
President of Commission 4: Chris Rizos
Members at large: Luiz P. Fortes and Charles Merry
Service representatives: Ruth Neilan, Markus Rothacher and Harald Schuh
The president of the Communication and Outreach Branch will be elected at the Council meeting July 7. The EC has nominated J.Adam (Hungary).
6. Presentation of the Levallois Medal (Klaus Peter Schwartz)
Klaus-Peter Schwartz read the citation for Geoge Veis, who received the Levallois Medal 2003. The citation is attached these minutes (attachment 4).
George Veis was unable to attend the General Assembly and therefore Dimitris Arabelos received the medal on his behalf.
7. Presentation of the Bomford Prize (Fernando Sanso) and Bomford lecture by the recipient.
FS mentioning some of the previous the Bomford Prize winners and gave the motivation for the election of this year’s winner. The recipient of the Bomford Prize 2003 is Ramon Hanssen from Delft University of Technology.
After receiving the prize R. Hanssen gave a short presentation.
Respectfully submitted: Christina Schneider, date 2003-07-30.